The Hamptons and Montauk

We actually went to New York before Saint Michaels, but I wanted to get those Halloween shots in by October 31. My mother-in-law is in New York, and friends had invited us to a photo expo at the Javits Center.

The photo expo was fantastic and best of all, it was free. Nikon and Canon had huge displays, naturally, and I got to see vendors I’d only read about on line. They were giving out canvas tote bags and samples I’ll be using in the future. And on the way there, our friends showed us the B&H photography store. I was in photo heaven! If you ever get a chance, go there. Everything you could ever want or need photography-wise.

We drove out to the Hamptons the next day. Couldn’t see many houses because there are tall hedges around most of them, but I did manage to snap this:

houses on water

The water actually looked like that. Strange, beautiful color. It was really cold and windy that day. Shades of things to come.

Found a great farm stand complete with vintage pickup truck,

pink pickup

ornamental kale,

ornamental kale

pumpkins

pumpkins

and some of the most colorful produce. . . .

tomatoes

turnips

Turnips in the grocery store never look this good.

yellow cauliflower

Maybe yellow cauliflower makes you feel like you’re having cheese sauce too?
These colors made me think of a quote by Rainer Maria Rilke:

”Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night.”

We made it all the way out to Montauk, the easternmost tip of New York. Montauk was purchased from the Montaukett Indians in the 1600s.
Montauk Point Lighthouse, the oldest lighthouse in the state, was authorized by the Second Congress under President George Washington in 1792. It was completed in 1796.

Montauk Point Lighthouse

You can see Connecticut from there:

view from Montauk Point

The next morning, we got up and heard that snow was predicted for that afternoon. Snow in October? Seriously? We left New York around 10:15 and it started snowing before we got to New Jersey. We went from autumn to this:

zero visibility

and this:

snow

(Taken from a moving car with a cell phone.)

Fortunately, the snow turned to rain by the time we got to Maryland, but it was kind of scary on the New Jersey turnpike. Places like Connecticut and Pennsylvania really got hammered. Some parts of Conn. still don’t have power!

I don’t know about you, but I’m just not ready for the white stuff.

Hope your week’s going well so far. . . .

{carole}

Advertisements

This entry was posted in photography, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The Hamptons and Montauk

1. Ms. Spock says:

What. A. Contrast!! between the autumn day and then the winter day. And those were actually on successive days?? I think I’ll concentrate on the autumn day. Looks like virtually cloudless conditions there.

Ain’t never hoid of cheese-coloured cauliflower or purple kale. Guess my own faves here are the twin homes on the lake (I hope those neighbors get along!) and the lighthouse. Great shots!

Good work, Ms. Pearl.

The color of that wather is unbelievable. Like a fanatsy lake. I have nvere seen yellow cauliflower. they had nice looking vegetables.
    A famous Swiss novel by Max Frisch is called Montauk.
    Nah… No snow for me yet.
    I should read some Rilke….

• I think I’ve seen yellow cauliflower before, but it’s been years, so I forgot about it.

Max Frisch is one of those authors I’ve been meaning to read for a long time. Rilke is amazing.

3. jacquelincangro says:

I’ve been to B&H several times and I can understand why you loved it. It’s the go-to place for shutterbugs. It’s a little overwhelming for a newbie like me. I don’t know where to go first.
    I was thinking about the color of the water being unusual just before you mentioned it. I wonder if it’s that color all the time or maybe there was something about that particular day.

• It was overwhelming, Jackie. I’d love to go back with a list in hand and lots of questions.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen water like that before. No idea if it’s always that way.

Hmm, I changed the photo on my gravatar today and now it’s just a symbol. Back to the drawing board. . . .

4. Cheryl says:

Love these images, Carole! Thanks to your blog my list of places for road trips is getting quite long! The Mauntauk Lighthouse is my personal fave. Snow in October is rare, even up here. I once got caught in an early snow storm while road tripping in my old convertible. The snow was wet and heavy, just like what you experienced on the Turnpike. I had to keep pushing up on the canvas top with all my strength. The snow would build up on the warmed top causing it to sag, nearly touching my head. I had visions of it ripping and driving the CV ‘in’ a snowbank on wheels.

• Cheryl, we only have one more trip this year, so I’ll give you a break. 🙂

What a scary experience with the convertible! Wet, heavy snow took out a major branch on our big maple tree last winter, so it is really dangerous.

5. A J says:

I liked lighthouse shot and yellow cauliflower. I heard about snow in month of october, weather is acting strange.

6. Beautiful photos!!!! I especially love that ornamental kale. Such beautiful colours!

7. Patti says:

Love the Rilke quote! And the lighthouse shot is very cool!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )