Vintage Carousel

Glen Echo carousel

Don’t you just love old carousels? This one is located at Glen Echo Park in Maryland, and was installed in 1921! After checking out a strawberry festival on Saturday, we dropped by the park and I took photos until the heat and humidity got to be too much. Was it just a few months ago I wore fingerless gloves to keep my fingers from freezing?

Wurlitzer

When the music started, I racked my brain trying to figure out the name of this instrument. “Wurlitzer” came to mind, but they do jukeboxes. “Calliope”? Nope, that’s for the circus. Whipped out my iPhone and looked it up. It is indeed a Wurlitzer “band organ.”

carousel detail

The canopy and the carved figures were made by the Dentzel Carousel Company of Germantown, Pennsylvania. I think the details are so beautiful.

carousel animal

The Glen Echo carousel was in a scene in the 1989 comedy Chances Are starring Robert Downey Jr. and Cybill Shepherd.

carousel horse

Carousel and fairground art specialist Rosa Ragan spent years restoring the original paint colors to the animals, band organ, rounding boards and drum panels. That’s why I showed you the true colors of the carousel before offering this:

carousel tilt

Sometimes it’s fun to shake things up a little. I rotated the original image and used a vintage cross processing action from Florabella.

Hope you all had a great weekend….

{ms. pearl}

Advertisements

This entry was posted in photography and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Vintage Carousel

1. Great shots. I love pictures of vintage rides or carnivals.

2. 36x37 says:

Beautiful! This carousel is even prettier than the one at The Merry Go Round Museum in Sandusky. So glad you shared these photos!

That’s an absolute beauty. Amazing.

4. Patti says:

Carousels have a special type of beauty – thanks for the photos! the colors look gorgeous – like flowers!

5. jacquelincangro says:

There’s just something so special about carousels. Maybe it’s the vintage appeal. Maybe it’s the craftsmanship. I love the ones with the unusual animals like the lion. I read an article recently about a woman in my neighborhood who is restoring the horses from an historic carousel that fell into disrepair. She’s painting them all by hand!

• It’s the nostalgia and craftmanship for me. Wish they made things like that nowadays. I think the woman who restored this carousel did it by hand too. You’d pretty much have to because of all the different colors.

6. bonniegunkel says:

This is a beautiful carousel. Thank you for sharing this with us!

7. I love carousels! When I was younger, I always had to ride twice.

8. Lady Jennie says:

I’ve never seen a carousel like that. Gorgeous.

9. Cheryl says:

Wonderfully nostalgic images, Carole. The vintage carousel is so well maintained … somebody loves it! Did you take a ride?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )